[Asterisk-Users] Ouch, part reset, quickly

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Tue Dec 21 21:56:26 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On December 21, 2004 08:29 am, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>> 5 Watts per FXS
>>
>> They also told me each FXS port would support a REN (ringer
>> equivalence number) of 5.0, which means that you should be able to
>> to ring five of the old electromechanical telephones simultaneously
>> off of each FXS port on the card - 20 of them in all.
>>
>> Does anybody know what the wattage is for a REN?
>
> Well given what you just provided, I'd say the "wattage for a REN" is
> 1 Watt, minus whatever the card itself uses which would be minimal.
> :-)

That was my thinking exactly, except that I was concerned that 20W just
didn't seem like enough oomph to drive twenty of those old mechanical
ringers, and I wanted to determine if the official value for a REN
actually _was_ 1Watt.

Part of me says to drop it, and part of me says that since these TDM
cards are causing so much trouble (with no one figuring out what's
wrong), every crazy idea is worth at least a look.

Cheers,

Jim.