[Asterisk-Users] Ouch, part reset, quickly

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Wed Dec 22 17:44:33 MST 2004

No.  It means it can ring a set of phones that add up to 5 REN.  This number
does not equate to watts.

The unit has to power the electronics, send out talk battery, add
superimposed DC on the ringing voltage.  Generate the ringing circuit, etc.
>From + and - 12 volts, we get -48v talk battery and ringing voltage(I have
not measured it, but I would be surprised if it was less than +- 80v and
then I would use a scope and not a volt meter to accurately measure it) all
for free with no loss(wattage) in the conversion?

I would not even consider trying to equate one to the other.

Lyle