[Asterisk-Users] Codec Selection

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Tue Dec 21 14:05:19 MST 2004

Checkout the new code from CVS. I think a fix for what you are looking
for was discussed during the last two weeks on development as being
ready.

The fix keeps the order, but I am not sure it can do codec A then codec
B if another call comes in. That seems more like a dial plan or a
sip.conf issue.

On the other hand If you have the older code then:

The order does not matter because the list.
  allow=g729
  allow=gsm
  allow=FormualX

get converted to a bit field and the first field that matches wins.

G729 | GSM | X | Y |

Each call scans the list from left to right so "G729" is seen first if
the other endpoint has G729 capability. There are not two "channels" on
for G729 and others for GSM.

There might be a way in the extensions.conf to do way you need to do,
but I am not an expert in dial plans.

Think about sending calls to an extension.
If the G729 extension is busy then send the call to the GSM extension.

Can anyone else help here?

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken

"The World is divided into the literate and those who can't read the
dictionary to lookup literate."