[Asterisk-Users] RE: Toshiba DK-40 and Asterisk...possible?

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Mon Dec 20 19:56:16 MST 2004

Hi Jason,

On Mon, 2004-20-12 at 16:43 -0700, Jason Kawakami wrote:
> Anything that speaks "phone" can be integrated with *.  You can sit an *
> server next to anything and make it work through a tie line of some kind.
> The level of seamlessness and what you are trying to do will determine the
> viability of doing this.

Well, seeing as how I've not had to integrate an Asterisk box with an
existing PBX before, I'm sure there will be quite a bit of trial and
error.  It also doesn't help that my potential client doesn't have the
manual for the Toshiba PBX.  But, I can probably find a web site selling
manuals.

> Sorry.  Digital phones speak whatever mfg language they were meant to
> connect to, in this case, Toshiba.  If you want to add IVR functionality or
> expand the voicemail, or add voip (basically, something else that the
> Toshiba doesn't do) you can just sit the * next to the Toshiba.  If you want
> to use it as the main system, you will have to toss the sets.

Yes, that was the first thing I told them (i.e. the phones will only
work the Toshiba PBX).  However, I didn't realize at the time that the
Asterisk server could just be put in front of the Toshiba.

> Look on the wiki about legacy integration for further information.

I went through the bits about legacy integration earlier this year, and
hadn't gone back until today.  I actually did take a look before I read
your message, and was happy to see that the type of integration I
eventually began to think about might just be possible.  This is what
I'm planning on proposing/testing:

PSTN -> Asterisk TDM04B -> Asterisk TDM40B -> Toshiba DK40

Well, the FXO card won't be connected directly to the FXS card, but that
nicely summarizes what I'm picturing.  I believe this has a high chance
of working since they're currently using analog telephone lines anyway.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll send an update on whether or not everything
works out.  Hopefully it'll help someone else out in the future.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu