[Asterisk-Users] codec issues

Shoval Tomer shoval at softov.co.il
Mon Dec 20 17:13:01 MST 2004

Thanks Steve,
See my answers inline

IAXphone,
> >I hear a very load noise.
> >

> On which side do you hear this noise? IAXphone, or GS?

I hear the noise on IAX site

> Does the noise continue, or just go for a few milliseconds?

Continue till I hang up

> Does your version of IAXphone support multiple codecs, or just GSM?

Supports only GSM

> >Asterisk CLI shows this:
> >channel.c:1314 ast_read: Dropping incompatible voice frame on
IAX2/205/1
> >of format GSM since our native format has changed to G729A
> >
> >(not just once, over and over and over again till I hang up)
> >
> >my sip.conf entry for the grandstream phone shows
> >disallow=all
> >allow=g729
> >and
> >reinvite=no
> >
> >I did 'iax2 show channels' and 'sip show channels'
> >
> >When I call from IAXPhone to GS, the IAX2 channel shows codec GSM and
> >the Sip channel shows codec G729A
> >
> >When I call the other way around, Sip shows G729A and IAX2 shows GSM.
> >
> >Hmm, seems ok...
> >
> >I tried changing my sip conf to include allow=g729,gsm
> >
> >Now the calls sounds fine, but the bandwidth is uses is near 20K
instead
> >of just 6K (both phones are near me, and the Asterisk server is at a
> >remote location, and I can monitor bandwidth usage in my FW).
> >
> >Can anyone help?
> >

> It obviosuly sounds like codec negotion, on one side or another, isn't
> working, and you're sending an incompatible codec to the other side,
or
> the other side doesn't know what codec is being sent..

How can I even control that?

And sip show channels and iax2 show channels show the correct codecs.

> Using ethereal to see what's happening on the network would show you
> what's going on pretty clearly..
>
> -SteveK

I'll try but it's not going to be easily done, as the asterisk server is
at a remote location and I'm no ethereal expert...