[Asterisk-Users] codec issues

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Dec 20 19:06:36 MST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 7:13 PM, Shoval Tomer wrote:

> Thanks Steve,
> See my answers inline
>>>

>>> Calls from GS to IAXphone ring, and once I answer the call in
> IAXphone,
>>> I hear a very load noise.
>>>

>> On which side do you hear this noise? IAXphone, or GS?
>>

> I hear the noise on IAX site
>
>> Does the noise continue, or just go for a few milliseconds?
>
> Continue till I hang up
>

>> Does your version of IAXphone support multiple codecs, or just GSM?
>

> Supports only GSM

Steve needs to build a new IAXPhone, then..  newer iaxclient supports
codec negotiation properly  (at least, initially, I've heard some
reports about problems during a transfer, though

>> It obviosuly sounds like codec negotion, on one side or another, isn't
>> working, and you're sending an incompatible codec to the other side,
> or
>> the other side doesn't know what codec is being sent..
>>

> How can I even control that?

If your iax phone only supports GSM, and doesn't advertise that
properly (like the iaxphone you're using), then you need to limit the
codecs you send it in iax.conf.

> And sip show channels and iax2 show channels show the correct codecs.

I think they show the codec that asterisk is receiving from the peer,
not necessarily what it's sending (I think it can be different).

>> Using ethereal to see what's happening on the network would show you
>> what's going on pretty clearly..
>>
>> -SteveK
>>

> I'll try but it's not going to be easily done, as the asterisk server
> is
> at a remote location and I'm no ethereal expert...

You can run ethereal on win32..

-SteveK