[Asterisk-Users] Has anyone connected to 7960 with consolecablefor setup?

Henry Devito hdevito at qwest.net
Thu Dec 16 13:11:57 MST 2004

> I have a Cisco 7960 phone.  I cannot seem to use the settings button to
> get
> into the phone to change the TFTP server.  I've set up a DHCP Server, TFTP
> Server with the same address, and the phone requests the address of
> 0.0.0.0,
> the server offers the  address of 192.168.2.2, but the phone seems not to
> take it.
>
> I have no action on the TFTP side.
>
> So, since I can't seem to server the phone anything by TFTP, and I can't
> use
> the settings button, then I thought I might make a console cable (see
> below).  I tried to use hyperTerminal, but got no response from the phone.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

You have to enable the console with the phone programming.  2 things unlock
the settings by pressing **# settings then you can go into network setup and
keep scrolling down until you see alternate tftp yes/no.  Make sure that it
says yes.  Save and reboot phone then you should be able to set the tftp
server by pressing **# settings then scroll down to the TFTP server and
enter in the correct ip address, save and reboot. If this is a newer SIP
version you can press the settings button press the digit 9 then enter the
password "cisco"

Henry Devito
Telephone Connection, Inc
Network Design / Implementation
Phone: 402.330.7510
Fax:    402.330.8586

Toshiba CTX/DK/Stratagy Certified
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Voice ( VoIP)
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Routing and Switching
MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer