[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 says "Protocol Application Invalid?"

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Dec 11 19:18:18 MST 2004

> My problem with this phone is I cannot get to the settings to change
> anything.  This is a used phone, but new to me.  I have not had it in
> service yet.
>
> None of the buttons on the phone seem to do anything.  I assume I have to
> configure the phone TFTP settings so I can upgrade to the SIP Image and the
> new configuration settings.  When I upgraded my 7905 phones, I entered the
> TFTP settings from the phone's display, then upgraded thru the TFTP.  I
> assume I do the samething with the 7960, but with the 7960 SIP Image (Yes I
> do have the 7960 SIP Image, also I did not try and use the 7905 SIP Image).
>
> I do have the 7960 SIP Image, but I can't get into the phone to change the
> TFTP.  Is the phone locked?  Did the previous owner mess up an upgrade and
> now the phone is a paper weight?
>
> This is my first attempt working with a 7960 phone.

Might try setting up an dhcp server. If the 7960 happens to be configured
to use dhcp (and if memory serves correctly, that is the default), then
your dhcp server can dole out a tftp address (type 66).

If you have a packet sniffer (eg, Ethereal), take a look to see what (if
anything) the phone is doing.