[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Maintenance

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Dec 8 14:50:25 MST 2004

On December 8, 2004 04:41 pm, Michael Welter wrote:
> Also, the box is on a UPS, so I'm assuming the AC power is generated
> from the battery and is a perfect sine wave.  But that begs the
> question:  does a UPS system connect the mains to the output, or is the
> input power used to charge the battery, and the battery used to generate
> the output power?

Depends on the UPS; most types you buy at a consumer-grade store are offline
UPSes -- they will transfer the load to the battery with the mains is below a
certain threshhold, and bypass the batteries (connect load to mains) when
mains is restored.

There are "on-line" UPSes that always generate AC but they are not the norm,
and you pay a premium for them.

No UPS you'll want to pay for generates a perfect sine wave -- it'll be a
stepped-voltage waveform but the current waveform will not be too bad.

-A.