[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Maintenance

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Wed Dec 8 14:41:07 MST 2004

Chris Glover wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Michael Welter wrote:
>
>> I went on a service call yesterday to find an asterisk system with a
>> T100P card on a Qwest PRI and a TDM40B card connected to fax machines.
>> The TDM40B LEDs were not lit, and the system did not respond to
>> keyboard input. However, calls were being processed for the PRI and
>> 7960 phones.
>>
>> I replaced the TDM40B card with a new one, and the system now seems to
>> be ok. But I'm wondering, why would the LEDs go off?  Why would
>> keyboard input fail?
>>

> Hi,
>
> Cant help with the TDM card, but I have seen PCs get affected by mains
> bumps. I used to have a PC where the keyboard controller would crash but
> I was still able to telnet into the PC and reset it.
>
> Check the mains supply, there might be something with a big inductive
> load, that causes some ripples that are ending up on the DC outputs of
> your PCs PSU.
>
> HTH
>
> Chris

This was a situation where I had to recover the root password, so I
wasn't able to ssh into the box.  I had to power-down the box, recover
the password, and then reboot.

Also, the box is on a UPS, so I'm assuming the AC power is generated
from the battery and is a perfect sine wave.  But that begs the
question:  does a UPS system connect the mains to the output, or is the
input power used to charge the battery, and the battery used to generate
the output power?

--
Michael Welter
Introspect Telephony Corp.