[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Maintenance

Chris Glover chris at glovercc.clara.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 14:55:38 MST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Michael Welter wrote:

>> Check the mains supply, there might be something with a big inductive
>> load, that causes some ripples that are ending up on the DC outputs of
>> your PCs PSU.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Chris
>>
> This was a situation where I had to recover the root password, so I wasn't
> able to ssh into the box.  I had to power-down the box, recover the password,
> and then reboot.
>
> Also, the box is on a UPS, so I'm assuming the AC power is generated from the
> battery and is a perfect sine wave.  But that begs the question:  does a UPS
> system connect the mains to the output, or is the input power used to charge
> the battery, and the battery used to generate the output power?

Depends on the UPS, if it's a little one (like the ones a little bigger
than a car battery), it's all electronic, so there is the possibility of
nasty signals getting through. If it's a big industrial rotary UPS, then
this wont be a problem. This is where having separte "Clean Earths" cme in
usefull.

I've know a failry big (as in size of an american fridge) electronic UPS
put nasty 10KHz hum onto it's incoming mains. This is a bad thing when
it's at a TV studios... upset a lot of people that day :-)

HTH

Chris

--
Chris