[Asterisk-Users] Comparision of IAX2, FWD, iaxtel etc etc.

Wilson Pickett wilson.pickett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 02:34:07 MST 2004

> > How would the IAX (host=dynamic) client first register? Am I missing something?
>
> Firewalls generally don't block any usermode connections OUTBOUND from
> the hosts inside--that's why URLs can point to oddball ports, e.g. 8080,
> without any problem when one is, say, surfing the net.

Its also why I block everything but 80 in MSIE :)

> Since the connection is opened from the INSIDE, the NAT router doesn't
> block the return traffic.

I may not have said this, but I was referring to the IAXy. It needs to
be provisioned by the asterisk server (among other things to know the
address of that server!)

The first time this is done, I put the IAXy on the same LAN as the
asterisk box so, no problem. What I think I did say above is that if
the asterisk server ip is unknown to the IAXy, in order to provision
the IAXy asterisk has to talk to it.

THAT INITIAL CONNECTION is not possible unless IAX port is forwarded
to the IAXy.

Bottom line, if you do not have a static ip, since the IAXy does not
do DNS, the first provisioning can't happen.

Anyone?