[Asterisk-Users] G729, x-pro, and codec ordering

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 6 22:39:06 MST 2004

I'm in the middle of getting g729 to work on my server and running into odd
stuff.  The issue revolves around what appears to be a much talked about
(but not seeming to be much solved) issue of selecting which codec gets used
at a given time.

I have two g729 licenses.  I'd like to be able to get asterisk to use g729
(via x-pro) only when I want to, reason being that if I'm in a high
bandwidth environment I'd rather have the higher quality of ulaw, but when
I'm in a low bandwidth environment I'd like to select g729.

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which codec gets chosen,
and it seems to vary depending on whether the call is outgoing or incoming.

And furthermore, turning off a codec in x-pro doesn't seem to do anything.
For example, if I have:

[general]
disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm
allow=ilbc

and then dial out on x-pro, G729 is selected.   Then I turn off G729 and
turn on g711u  (I make g711u the only black codec on the x-pro display),
then make a call, the call is still made using G729.

Further more, with the same settings if I call from a zap channel to the
x-pro sip extension, the codec chosen is g711u, even though I might only
have g729 enabled on x-pro, and even though g729 is the first one on the
list above.

Anyone have any suggestions, or can point me to something to read?

regards,

Paul