[Asterisk-Users] Sveasoft Alchemy QOS

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Dec 6 11:06:06 MST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Steve Kennedy wrote:

> > Well, then roll your own and stop whining about it. Quite frankly calling
> > it "hackware" shows that you have no concept of how much work has gone
> > into the Sveasoft firmware, nor do you grasp the concept that Linksys is
> > incorporating many of the Sveasoft changes BACK into their firmware.
> > Everyone wins from this, and Sveasoft has a revenue stream that allows
> > them to keep focused development on improving the firmware. I have over 60
> > of the WRT54GS units in production and I run Sveasoft firmware on every
> > single one of them. It is so far ahead of Linksys's internal builds and
> > adds so many additional features that there is no comparison between the
> > two.
>
> The only criticism I'd have of Sveasoft is lack of documentation, but in
> general the software is pretty good (if you can work out how to drive it
> properly :).

As with any Open Source project (Asterisk included) Documentation is
always the weak link. However, I will say that the documentation that DOES
exist for Sveasoft has surpassed my expectations, especially for the
public Satori loads. It has it's rough edges, but in general it is quite
adequate for my needs.

> I'm sure there'll be an Asterisk port, especially as Sveasoft are making
> loadable modules, so the core can be small, but functionality can be
> added if required.

Yep.. it is only a matter of time. However, the lack of threading and
other restrictions of the platform may make Asterisk on a WRT54GS a pretty
stripped down and basic system.

On the other hand, if you ARE a Sveasoft subscriber, you should definitely
check out some of Lonewolf's builds. He has recently added the ability to
do Wireless Bridging to the firmware. I use this at home to replace a 6
Meg / second PowerLine Networking setup w/ 54 meg 802.11g links between
rooms in the house.

                             KP-216-121-ST