[Asterisk-Users] Sveasoft Alchemy QOS

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Mon Dec 6 04:08:59 MST 2004

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 02:30:17PM -0500, Greg Boehnlein wrote:

> > > Tell me which one can get me access to the LinkSys Linux using SSH?
> > > Does Satori has this feature? I am not so concerned with Voice Shaping
> > > and QOS at this time, but more interested in converting this into a
> > > Linux box that is accessible from an ssh client.
> > Alchemy has ssh access, you need to pay $20 subscription to Sveasoft to
> > access the pre-release firmware.
> > $20.00 for GNUed "hackware" that is originally freely donated by
> > LinkSys? No way.
> Well, then roll your own and stop whining about it. Quite frankly calling
> it "hackware" shows that you have no concept of how much work has gone
> into the Sveasoft firmware, nor do you grasp the concept that Linksys is
> incorporating many of the Sveasoft changes BACK into their firmware.
> Everyone wins from this, and Sveasoft has a revenue stream that allows
> them to keep focused development on improving the firmware. I have over 60
> of the WRT54GS units in production and I run Sveasoft firmware on every
> single one of them. It is so far ahead of Linksys's internal builds and
> adds so many additional features that there is no comparison between the
> two.

The only criticism I'd have of Sveasoft is lack of documentation, but in
general the software is pretty good (if you can work out how to drive it
properly :).

I'm sure there'll be an Asterisk port, especially as Sveasoft are making
loadable modules, so the core can be small, but functionality can be
added if required.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19