[Asterisk-Users] DIALSTATUS weirdness (CHANUNAVAIL instead of BUSY, NOANSWER instead of CHANUNAVAIL)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Dec 4 06:43:37 MST 2004

> On December 3, 2004 03:36 pm, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > exten => 1234,1,Dial(Zap/g1/5551234,,g)
> > exten => 1234,n,NoOp(HANGUPCAUSE is ${HANGUPCAUSE} and DIALSTATUS is
> > ${DIALSTATUS})
> >
> > Why, if 5551234 is busy, is DIALSTATUS set to CHANUNAVAIL?  Should it not
> > be BUSY?
>
> Brian West pointed me at chan_zap.c where there is a configuration parameter
> called "priindication" which can be used to set the pri indication to inband
> or out of band, defaulting to out of band.
>
> I have set priindication=outofband in zapata.conf, now I will test this later
> but it looks like it will work.
>
> Posting a new thread now in -dev as to why the blue f*ck there is a pri inband
> configuration option that is
>
> a) undocumented and
> b) defaults to inband
>
> The mind boggles -- PRI is *always* out of band.

Looks like the command is documented in the current config samples.

I'm not knowledgable/experienced (as yet) on where it is actually used,
but just reading the comments in the config sample led me question the
writers use of the terms inband and outofband relative to a pri.

Since the comments use words like "doesn't work with all telcos",
could this have something to do with detecting busy when a call
reaches a destination lurking behind an analog system? (eg, pri
call placed to a DID number on an analog pbx where the d channel
isn't aware of the destination's status?)