[Asterisk-Users] drive space for voice mail

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 2 21:18:56 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 21:08 -0600, rsenykoff at harrislogic.com wrote:

> <snip>
> So in the end, expect that a 160gb drive is only likely to store
> 27,000
> hours of WAV49 recordings if it is the only thing the drive is being
> used for.
> </snip>
>
> Thank you everyone for your input... I think I'm safe at reducing them
> to 2 X 80GB (RAID 1) and still have plenty of room (these drives will
> also include the OS, * install etc). Eventually the server may end up
> servicing many remote sites, so I don't mind being slightly over the
> top.

Maybe you should research the problems of your raid solution.

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_01.html

IDE raid 1 should be avoided. IDE drives themselves can cause degraded
performance on a machine and raid 1 would double the IDE activity. If
you were to use a hardware raid option, you would reduce the likely hood
of degraded performance due to IDE activity.

I don't know if SATA helps any for you, but you need to look into what
you can handle.