[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500, asterisk user opinions?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Dec 2 10:03:45 MST 2004

Sean Kennedy wrote:
> Hi all, I'm researching IP phones for a new office setup.  We will need
> 30 phones.  I have read the wiki and the polycom site for the phones,
> but I still had some questions about real world experience with these
> phones.
>
> -According to the documentation, the 500 series ( and 600, according to
> a polycom rep ) have built in hubs.  Has anybody noticed performance
> issues in this setup, when running a computer off of the built in second
> port?
>
> -The 500 series has an indicator light, which is implied to work as a
> voice mail indicator.  Is this true?  What extra setup is needed?  Or do
> I just need to add `mailbox` to the sip config entry and be done with it?
>
> -Do these phones still have issues where one side hears the conversation
> while the other hears nothing or rining?  Do they still need special sip
> file entries ( 2 per phone )?
>
> I apprecaite any and all note/advise/rants/raves/information that the
> asterisk crowd can volunteer about this phone.
> Thank you.
>
> Sean

Sean,

	I have been using IP 600's with great success.  I have never
experienced any of the one way audio problems.  These phones have a
built in switch with QoS capabilities (and PoE).  It is fairly easy to
configure the MWI.  Let me know if you need specific polycom config
info.  I will be adding it to the Wiki one of these days...

	Essentially, you can just add mailbox=, but for one touch voicemail you
need to do more.  I just recently got Polycom "Buddies"
to work, and I am experimenting with the call park softkey.

	By the way, if you are getting Polycom 500's, you might as well get
600's for less money, they have built in PoE and a XHTML browser, plus
more...  I have managed to find a great reseller that has them for the
lowest price I have seen.  I will post the location to the biz list so
not to ruffle any feathers.  If you are not subscribed, I will get it to
you off-list.

	Let me know if you need any help with them!

--
Kristian Kielhofner