[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500, asterisk user opinions?

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Thu Dec 2 08:21:49 MST 2004

Hi all, I'm researching IP phones for a new office setup.  We will need
30 phones.  I have read the wiki and the polycom site for the phones,
but I still had some questions about real world experience with these
phones.

-According to the documentation, the 500 series ( and 600, according to
a polycom rep ) have built in hubs.  Has anybody noticed performance
issues in this setup, when running a computer off of the built in second
port?

-The 500 series has an indicator light, which is implied to work as a
voice mail indicator.  Is this true?  What extra setup is needed?  Or do
I just need to add `mailbox` to the sip config entry and be done with it?

-Do these phones still have issues where one side hears the conversation
while the other hears nothing or rining?  Do they still need special sip
file entries ( 2 per phone )?

I apprecaite any and all note/advise/rants/raves/information that the
asterisk crowd can volunteer about this phone.

Thank you.

Sean