[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice disconnecting on Asterisk Voice Mail

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Mon Aug 30 09:21:52 MST 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Chris Shaw wrote:

> [...]

Or if you, like me, don't keep your own personal archive of every message
sent to the list (and therefore can't post to the existing thread), then I
guess you can be forgiven. ;-)

A few days ago somebody deterimined that the issue is related to lack of
comfort noise generation (CNG) in Asterisk. When a caller is leaving you
voicemail, Asterisk isn't transmitting any audio. After 30 seconds or so
of this, BV's equipment interprets this as a remote disconnect and hangs
up the line.

If that is indeed the root problem, then the fix would be to either
persuade BV not to disconnect simply because it hasn't seen any audio
going one way, or else (preferrable?) implement some kind of CNG in
Asterisk (or the voicemail and other afflicted systems, at least).

Greg