[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice disconnecting on Asterisk Voice Mail

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Mon Aug 30 10:11:05 MST 2004

> A few days ago somebody deterimined that the issue is related to lack of
> comfort noise generation (CNG) in Asterisk. When a caller is leaving you
> voicemail, Asterisk isn't transmitting any audio. After 30 seconds or so
> of this, BV's equipment interprets this as a remote disconnect and hangs
> up the line.

That person would be me, and it was over 2 weeks ago... I guess I'm annoyed
because
as a semi-noob to asterisk (I've been using it for about 3 months) I have
always tried to
actually look things up before I post, it's only polite... And this EXACT
topic has been
repeated in like 5 different threads in the past week... This does not help
solve the problem...

>if you, like me, don't keep your own personal archive of every message
> sent to the list (and therefore can't post to the existing thread), then I
> guess you can be forgiven. ;-)

That's really not an excuse, the rest of us DO keep an archive of
messages...
If you don't then use google to search the web archives and do a
"site:lists.digium.com BroadVoice" to find all of the messages related to
BroadVoice...

> If that is indeed the root problem, then the fix would be to either
> persuade BV not to disconnect simply because it hasn't seen any audio
> going one way, or else (preferable?) implement some kind of CNG in
> Asterisk (or the voicemail and other afflicted systems, at least).

I agree, I believe the first step will be to fix RTP timing so that it
doesn't
rely on incoming frames... the second would be to implement CNG and VAD
to allow asterisk to send CNG packets on silence instead of sending
NOTHING to the other side when doing things like recording or voicemail...
This really isn't BroadVoice's problem, it's perfectly acceptable to hang up
on complete silence, especially when the far end (Asterisk) doesn't send a
single
packet back to the proxy... (As evidenced by a TCPDUMP from * during
a voicemail and a recording... no packets are sent FROM asterisk at all
period...)

-Chris