[Asterisk-Users] Distinctive Ring Cadences

matt.riddell at sineapps.com matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Wed Aug 25 16:34:38 MST 2004

Again, sorry for the top-posting, just following the thread.

Re: you can do cadences with FXS of Sipuras - this can also be done
with the FXS modules for TDM400P cards.  I.E. in my house there is an
extension for me, 1 for my work, 1 for my wife and 1 for our tenant.

Then in extensions.conf I have:

[extensions]
;== MATT ==
exten =>
1,1,macro(stdexten|1|${MATT}&${STUDIO}r2&${PETE}r2&${ROOM}r2&ZAP/5r2)

exten =>
4,1,macro(stdexten|4|${MATT}&${STUDIO}r2&ZAP/3r2&${ROOM}r2&ZAP/5r2)

;== PETE ==
exten => 2,1,macro(stdexten|2|ZAP/3r4&ZAP/5r4)

;== CYNTHIA ==
exten => 3,1,macro(stdexten|3|${STUDIO}r3&ZAP/3r3&${ROOM}r3&ZAP/5r3)

(Sorry for the wrapping, I've seperated the lines so there is a gap
between them.  Oh and BTW ${MATT} is a sip connection to my computer -
 if I have to call somewhere I know I'll be on hold, I use my
counterstrike headset and x-lite so that I don't get a sore neck from
tilting my head to hold the phone for hours on end)

You will note that there is an r2,r3 or r4 after the FXS lines which
means that even though one of the phones is in the lounge, we all
know who it's for because of the ringing.  Also, you will note that
Pete's (our boarder) extension does not ring in the room or studio
(which has helped no end when he has received calls at 5am!).

I personally would like to see more cadence types (as far as I'm
aware you can change the cadences of the 4 ring patterns, but can not
add more than 4 - correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,

Matt Riddell

P.S. The above could easily be controlled by callerid (although it
depends on how many callerid's you want to check for).  If you want
to check for a lot of numbers, you're probably best using a database.
 You could maybe use the asterisk db.  I'm using a plugin in winamp
that lets you press + or - to rate up or down the visual you are
viewing.  It would be nice if you could do something similar with
asterisk.  I.E. at some time (maybe after the call) you can press a
number between 1 and 4 and then the number will be added to the
database with that code.  When a call comes in, check in db, if there
call using the correct cadence. End result?: Call comes in, annoying
person on line, press 4 after, next time you know it's an annoying
person.  Your new girlfriend rings...press 1...next time she calls
allow the phones to ring for 60 seconds instead of the usual 5 :-)