[Asterisk-Users] Hardware for PBX with 4 incoming/outgoing lines and 20 phones

Jeff Roberts listbox at adamsbrothers.com
Wed Aug 25 08:17:10 MST 2004

Andrew Elchuk wrote:

> Most of the time we are only using 3 of the lines for calling.  If I
> used VOIP termination for outgoing calls wouldn't I still need the 4
> lines to receive all of our incoming calls?  Also do I need to have an
> IP phone to connect to a Wildcard TDM40B or could I just use the
> phones we have right now?  Thanks.

Don't know if your situation will lend itself to my solution, but it
seems to work for me:  I called and had the call waiting turned off on
my pots line and set up busy call forwarding to my nufone number.  Now,
when someone dials my pots line, the first call comes in over a channel
bank connected to a t100p.  Each additional call, whether they call the
pots line or the nufone line comes in over iax.  I've only had a couple
of simultaneous calls going, but I would think I could have as many as
my internet connection will support bandwidth wise.  I've been using it
for a few weeks, and looking at the charges, its pretty cost effective
to me.  Unless your other three numbers are published or your faxing
over several lines, I dont see why you can't shut them off and use one
pots lines and voip for the rest.