[Asterisk-Users] SIP "unphones"

Tue Aug 24 16:25:53 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 03:02, Chris Shaw wrote:
> Check out my ATA idea though, with a regular cheap analog doorphone and a
> HTX86 or even Sipura, you can program the ATA to dial an extension as soon
> as the button on the intercom is pressed and then with some extension logic
> you can do neat things... You can get a doorphone anywhere even radio shack
> I think and the HTX86 is like $60-70...

The Grandstream also supports dial on pickup, but, with some extension
logic, why not use the voicemail button, which seems to have the ability
to make the grandstream go off-hook AND dial an extension all in one
neat package... Of course, IMHO, there are some dis-advantages to this
method, including:

You are sending power and ethernet to a complex device, which is
somewhat difficult to access/replace.
Using an analog doorphone, with the IAXy or ATA device in your computer
room/whatever, you have complete physical access to the 'complex'
devices, and not much should? go wrong with the analog doorphone
portion. Also, probably won't need to run new cable, since you might
already have telephone cable run through.

Of course, it would be nice to use a phone with PoE, but you do still
have the problem of accessing the device if it fails for some reason.

Just my 0.02c

Regards,
Adam