[Asterisk-Users] system reboot often?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Aug 21 04:55:25 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 06:42, Michael George wrote:
> I just deployed * on my home system last Sunday.  2x since then the Zap
> hardware seems to have malfunctioned on some way.
>
> One time it would just screech out one FXS, even though it would ring.  The
> other time * would bridge to my FXO but it never got out on the line.  I have
> a new TDM400 with 3 FXS and 1 FXO.
>
> Both times I tried unloading the zaptel drivers (which worked) and reloading
> them, which failed.  A reboot of the system brought everything back.
>
> Is this common?  Are there ways to minimize this?  Would a different PCI slot
> possibly make a difference?  Or a different system?  Is this just a chronic
> problem with the Digium hardware?

Most problems with TDM400 cards seem to stem from power supply. That is
why there is a power plug on the card to get more power into the card to
support the phone signalling. You may have had a small power brown out
and it caused your power supply to drop below what the card was happy
with.

Make sure you have a quality power supply in the computer that has
plenty of surplus wattage. Then make sure your machine is on a UPS to
make sure the power supply has enough clean power to serve your needs.