[Asterisk-Users] Performance testing of asterisk

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Mon Aug 16 16:43:53 MST 2004

The problem with this kind of testing is that you are testing asterisk,
using asterisk as the test generator.

When you start getting performance based artifacts, are you going to be
able to tell if it's from the sections of asterisk handling the call
transactions and media streams or from the sections that are generating the
calls.  How much of the system resources are going to be used in the
generation of the calls, how does this affect asterisk.

Is the program flow of internally generated calls exactly the same as the
program flow for the type of calls you are using as the scenario for the test?

I think you will find that using the same asterisk box as testee and tester
will result in not being able to identify what is causing the
artifacts...  In other words, your testing tool will significantly affect
your test platform.

-Chris