[Asterisk-Users] SNOM 200 and Asterisk Woes

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Aug 11 10:42:12 MST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>> You start up the phones, they register, all is good.  They show up in sip
>> show peers like thus:
>>
>> danm/danm        65.125.237.91    D   N      255.255.255.255  5060     OK
>> (29 ms)
>>
>> We pass a few calls in and out, and asterisk "deadlocks" (not a true
>> deadlock, see below).  The sip show peers list becomes frozen.  One of two
>> things will happen:
> Please explain what you mean with "becomes frozen".

Inbound SIP calls don't connect.  Asterisk's console responds, but hangs
up on a "stop now" and never exits cleanly except with -9.  Peers are held
in a constant state of whatever-state-they-were-in (ip addresses, etc).
Outbound calling has a 50/50 shot of working.  If the phones were
registered when this happens, they continue to be able to make outbound
calls.  If registration has failed as a result of this happening, they are
unable to re-register.

>> 1) I can power down the phone and it will still show status OKAY.
>
> The OK in sip show peers is the result of the qualify= tests. We're sending
> a SIP packet to the phone and gets a response. It happens with some
> frequency,
> so Asterisk will not immediately see that the phone is off line. Turn on SIP
> debug and wait for the next OPTIONS sent to the phone, you will propably see
> a couple of retransmits before it becomes not OK.

I've waited an hour with the snom phone unplugged.  This isn't "normal"
behavior.

>> 2) Or, the other thing I'm seeing is that the phones will forget to
>> re-register.  As in, they show up in sip show peers as status UNKNOWN, but
>> under this non-deadlock'ed deadlock, they can still make outbound calls
>> fine.
> Status UNKNOWN has nothing to do with registration. If the phone hasn't
> registred, you will not see an IP address to the phone in 'sip show peers'.
> Status UNKNOWN indicates that our SIP "pings" is not answered.
>
> Do you have NAT between your phone and Asterisk? Seems so since you turn
> on qualify.

I turn on qualify even for phones on the local subnet, for exactly this
reason.  However, yes, some of these phones were behind nat.  But not all
of them.  In fact the one I pasting above was on the same local subnet.
No firewalls.  (as stated previously).

-Dan Mahoney

--

"The first annual 5th of July party...have you been invited?"
"It's a Jack Party."

--Cali and Gushi, 6/23/02