[Asterisk-Users] SNOM 200 and Asterisk Woes

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Aug 10 23:46:42 MST 2004

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> You start up the phones, they register, all is good.  They show up in
> sip show peers like thus:
>
> danm/danm        65.125.237.91    D   N      255.255.255.255  5060
> OK (29 ms)
>
> We pass a few calls in and out, and asterisk "deadlocks" (not a true
> deadlock, see below).  The sip show peers list becomes frozen.  One of
> two things will happen:
Please explain what you mean with "becomes frozen".

> 1) I can power down the phone and it will still show status OKAY.

The OK in sip show peers is the result of the qualify= tests. We're sending
a SIP packet to the phone and gets a response. It happens with some frequency,
so Asterisk will not immediately see that the phone is off line. Turn on SIP
debug and wait for the next OPTIONS sent to the phone, you will propably see
a couple of retransmits before it becomes not OK.

> 2) Or, the other thing I'm seeing is that the phones will forget to
> re-register.  As in, they show up in sip show peers as status UNKNOWN,
> but under this non-deadlock'ed deadlock, they can still make outbound
> calls fine.
Status UNKNOWN has nothing to do with registration. If the phone hasn't
registred, you will not see an IP address to the phone in 'sip show peers'.
Status UNKNOWN indicates that our SIP "pings" is not answered.

Do you have NAT between your phone and Asterisk? Seems so since you turn
on qualify.

Somehow it seems that after a while, the SIP "pings" (OPTION packets) are
not getting through to the phone. On a SNOM you can go to the web interface
and look in the packet trace. Also, turn on SIP debug and try to catch when
this happens. Seems like the NAT isn't letting the packets through.

/O