[Asterisk-Users] multiple instances of asterisk spawning

Steven Kokinos steve at kokinos.com
Tue Apr 27 13:09:50 MST 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 2:22 PM, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> Link to google... http://tinyurl.com/38fdu
> Look closely at the search terms that will show up when you get there.
> When I search with those terms, I see over half of the first page with
> subjects pertaining to thread safe and reentrant functions. This should
> be the flaming blue clue hammer that lights the way.

Fair enough. Since it hadn't appeared to be multi-threaded in the past
I was thinking more along the lines of runaway process than anything
else. Point taken.

> I'm still assuming you are on a RH system. It is well known that RH
> dorks with stuff it shouldn't. Add to this that they ship kernels that
> sometimes are significantly different from stock(not a flame or a slam,
> just fact). So unless you trust them to provide you the kernel, and
> stayed with their revisions, that may have been the cause.

In fact the behavior began when I moved from a redhat stock kernel to a
build I did myself off of clean sources. Given the discussion today
what I'm seeing would be more consistent with a multi-threaded app than
before, so perhaps redhat was reporting processes/threads in a strange
way.

-Steve