[Asterisk-Users] multiple instances of asterisk spawning

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Apr 27 12:40:28 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 13:56, Kevin Williams wrote:
> > I don't know -- I'm not into elitism but the problem with
> > *any* popular OSS project are the people who waste no time
> > spewing a dumb-ass question to tens of thousands of people
> > without the slightest hint of research.
>
> How about an asterisk-newbies list?  If you don't want to listen to
> newbie questions or help answer newbie questions, you don't subscribe?

To be more complete in answering the question than Jeremy did, I will
point that newbies lists aren't the answer. Specifically, what happens
when a newbie can't answer another newbies question?

The real problem is that newbies need to be used to research. I know
that the current nature of schooling in the US(at least what I was
subjected to) isn't about research. It is spoon feeding and then
regurgitation. A newbies list would be such a beast. The problem is, who
wants to spoon feed otherwise capable adults this type of information?

Those of us who crave knowledge are willing to search for it to feed the
hunger. We are willing to answer questions at least once if it makes us
think. ESR has a wonderful paper that describes this kind of behavior.

Consider the physical world parallel to what we experience here.... It
is similar to a otherwise capable person requesting you, their peer, to
get up to go get a drink for them. It is lazy of the asker, and annoying
to the askee. As a side observer, you wouldn't be to surprised to see
the askee come back with the drink and toss it at the asker providing no
damage would occur from the act.  It also wouldn't be unexpected if the
askee just said, "go get it yourself."

On the other hand, it would be different if the question was more like,
lets go make a jug of [insert favorite beverage] and serve it to
everyone. A good question that requires thought is something that when
shared, enriches us all and will be treated (hopefully) with respect.

The downside is, while make a the same large amount of refreshments will
probably satisfy the group every time, the same question gets stale very
quick. New questions must be asked.

So before we bother with the idea of splitting, think about what could
be done to either point the new user to the resources, and then provide
them with a metric of how stale their question is.