[Asterisk-Users] DNS load on Re: e164.org [WAS] proudly announces PSTN support

Joe Baptista baptista at dot-god.com
Tue Apr 27 12:29:33 MST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Duane wrote:

> Chris Stenton wrote:
> > Does e164.org include toll free number routing such as provided by
> > freenum.org?
>
> At this very exact moment in time... No...
>
> Our goal wasn't to compete with existing services, they quite nicely
> fill a role and we fill a role that no one was currently filling...
>
> To an extent distributed enum systems will help keep systems
> responsive... So far we have 9 name servers running across the globe,
> but this obviously wouldn't cope with a few billion phone number
> requests a second...

that will not happen.   The possibility that your nameservers will
experience a load of a billion dns requests per second is highly unlikely
in todays environment.

At the present time there are only some 700,000 public DNS servers world
wide that are listed in the TLD zones.  Lets say at best we have 1.4
milllion DNS servers worldwide (i think i'm being very generous in this
estimate).  If your zone is set to a 24 hour refresh rate - at best you
can expect 1.4 million requests multiplied by the number of 800 zones
existing world wide - lets say its 1000 zones - so expect 1.4 billion
requests per day which will be cached at local dns resolvers.

Thats assuming everyone in the world is using your e164.org enum zone
everyday.  That is highly unlikely.

But - in the event that you were so popular - and it would be a pleasure
to help you out in any way (have a few ideas) at best i expect e164.org
should not experience a load in excess of 3 million requests per day.

That is equivalent to the existing load on the USG root servers - less the
error load of 149 million requests due to mismanagement and or the growth
and popularity of other root systems - where http://www.elvis/ is alive
and well.  Which see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

As you can see - you should have no problems with offering 800
enum service.  Go crazy - you won't kill your servers.

What you should be careful with - is to not fall into the same rut network
solutions is in.

When the US governments allowed netowkr solutions to commercialize the
internet - many domains have changed hands while the .com zone has
increased to some 28 million domains.  That results in alot of broken
links which is causing the .com zone to experience a dns load of
approximately 17 trillion dns requests per day.  i think this is more the
horror senario your concerned with - and it's not going to happen anytime
soon to the zone.

regards
joe baptista