[Asterisk-Users] Second Hand Servers - How Powerful?

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 09:40:05 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm looking at setting up a small production system - predominantly for
voice mail and IVR (with a few extensions and hold music MP3's).

I've found a couple of IBM X330 servers, with dual 1.13Ghz P3
processors.

My question is; is a dual 1.13Ghz P3 server sufficient to run for
real-life demands?

I come from a Unix/Mac background, so I'm not swayed by the '3Ghz'
chips, or the Intel Xeon, Neon, Quninine or whatever the hell they call
them now - I'm used to processors with low clock cycles (ie
IBM/Motorola G5's 2Ghz or UltraSparc's) that outperform, in sheer
process ability, the Intel's with clock speeds one, two, or even three
times the 'speed'.

So what I'm asking - is it a good server? It's a nice rack mount, with
a 10K rpm SCSI 36gb disk, and is weighing in at only £600 ($1100).
Built in slim line CD, PCI slots (one with an Ultra WD SCSI card)...

Hmmm - I bought a Sun Netra X1 for the same price - and that's an empty
box with an 80's looking motherboard (but alledgedly is only 2 years
old, and is used for telephony)...

I'll run Red Hat (probably)...

I'm just ranting... Let me know :-)

Ad.