[Asterisk-Users] Second Hand Servers - How Powerful?

Jeb Campbell jebc at c4solutions.net
Tue Apr 27 10:18:20 MST 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Adthrawn wrote:

> I've found a couple of IBM X330 servers, with dual 1.13Ghz P3
> processors.
>
> My question is; is a dual 1.13Ghz P3 server sufficient to run for
> real-life demands?

It really depends on number of users/transcoding?/and reliability.

For example my home machine:
Duron 750, 256MB ram, 40G HD (way overkill) -- doesn't even have the
sides of the case on it
Running:
Asterisk (1 FXO, 2 FXS, 4 VOIP phones)
Apache, MySQL, SpamAssassin, Qmail, IMAP+SSL
and the load stays below 1 and memory at ~250MB
I don't really care if it goes down and I can recover in under 30
minutes.

I have installed an IVR (data entry) Asterisk box with a T1 on an old
Compaq with a PIII-1.4.
Runs like a champ with no load.

So get something reliable (SCSI is good if you are going to be
recording a lot of Voicemail),
and if you are not transcoding (converting g711/ulaw to g729 or gsm),
then any recent cpu will do.

Jeb Campbell
jebc at c4solutions.net
Cell: 865-385-1437