[Asterisk-Users] g729 licence

Sam Bingner sam at bingner.com
Mon Apr 26 23:12:57 MST 2004

Your phone includes a license to encode/decode g729.  That license is used
by the phone, as it encodes your audio that you speak and decodes the
incoming audio.  For asterisk to convert from g729 to g732.1, asterisk has
to decode and encode the g729 stream.  In order to do this, asterisk
requires an additional g729 license... Which can be obtained from digium
for $10 per license.  If asterisk never encodes and decodes the g729
stream, a license is not required because the two endpoints must have a
license, and are doing all the encoding and decoding.

Sam