[Asterisk-Users] Galaxy Voice

Tom tom at sdf.com
Mon Apr 26 01:00:25 MST 2004

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Jay Milk wrote:

> I don't know if this belongs here, but has anyone been able to
> successfully use a SIP client other than the ATA186 with Vonage?  I have
> three lines with them, and would like to run them right into * when I
> get it set up.  I'm a good customer (been with them for close to two
> years) so I don't think they'd terminate my account for trying.

  Well, Vonage is now distributing a Motorola gateway, not the ATA186.
I've seen a configuration posted for a Vonage connection for Asterisk.  I
imagine that someone just sucked the settings off an ATA186, or just via a
packet sniff.  Vonage supports the X-ten softphone now, so it should be
pretty easy to find out the appropriate proxy and outbound server to use.

  I doubt they support a "bring your own client" config, but who does?
I've heard that some providers harrass clients using non-supported
hardware.  That sorta makes sense though.  iptel.org runs a public SIP
server, and they claim that they discard up to 60% of all SIP requests
sometimes because there are so many broken SIP user agents out there.
I've never heard of Vonage complaing about it.

Tom