[Asterisk-Users] SIP to H323 with no joy

James Hartman jhartman at centrisinfo.com
Fri Apr 23 08:18:27 MST 2004

Greetings and salutations to all...

I'm having a bit of a problem getting a SIP phone (Xten) to call an H323 Cisco ATA-186.  Both devices can call into the * and get the demo, voicemail, etc...  I'm pretty sure my problem is in my configs as it feels like a stupid error and to prove this to myself I set tcpdump on the * box to capture all UDP traffic going to and from the ATA-186.  If I call the * box from the ATA tcpdump sees all.  When I try to call the ATA from the SIP phone tcpdump sees nothing at all and my SIP phone times out.  I also ran a port scan on the ATA to make sure everything on it is as it should be.

Believe me, I wish I could use SIP for everything but I have no choice in the matter and upper management doesn't listen to reason (imagine that) so this is what I'm forced to deal with.

I'm sure it's a stupid mistake on my part.  I just need someone to hit me with the cluebat and open my eyes a little.

A little about the * box
OS => debian (woody)
Asterisk CVS-04/08/04-09:04:44
no firewalls, just on a LAN test seg..

And now for the configs....

/etc/asterisk/h323.conf
[general]
port = 1720
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
;
allow=gsm
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=default
;
[2001]
type=friend
host=192.168.1.51
context=from-h323
;incominglimit=4

/etc/asterisk/sip.conf
[general]
port = 5060
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
context = default
;
disallow=all
allow=gsm
;
[2000]
type=friend
username=2000
secret=blah
host=192.168.1.50
nat=1
context=from-sip

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
[general]
;
static=yes
writeprotect=yes
;
[globals]
CONSOLE=Console/dsp
;
[default]
include => from-sip
include => from-h323
;-----------------------------------------------------------
[from-sip]
exten => 2001,1,Answer
exten => 2001,2,Dial(H323/198.135.222.192|30|r)
exten => 2001,102,Playback(away-naughty-boy)
exten => 2001,103,Hangup
; testing :)
exten => 555,1,Answer
exten => 555,2,Wait,2
exten => 555,3,Playback(wrong-try-again-smarty)
exten => 555,4,Hangup
[from-h323]
exten => 2000,1,Answer
exten => 2000,2,Wait,2
exten => 2000,3,Dial(SIP/2000,20)
exten => 2000,105,Playback(away-naughty-boy)
exten => 2000,106,Hangup

Anybody here wanna beat me to death with the cluebat please?  I would appreciate it!  :)