[Asterisk-Users] Cisco phones

Hermann Wecke hermann at wecke.com
Thu Apr 22 15:08:56 MST 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Paul Tyreman wrote:
> I am guessing the phone that I get won't come with that as it was used
> with the cisco call manager software in the past.  Can I still use this
> phone with Asterisk, or have I waited my money ?

Every Cisco software embedded with their hardware is valid only for the
first owner. When someone sells the equipment, the software license is not
transfered. The new buyer must buy a new license.

I bought a Cisco 7960G over eBay also, and I bought their SIP software
later. I paid US$ 105. The original was a SCCP.

Check also the list history. You will find several messages regarding this
same issue (cisco hardware X software X upgrade). You can find the
archives here: http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/
(actually, use Google with this query:
"cisco sip upgrade site:lists.digium.com"