[Asterisk-Users] Intel 536ep as a FXO?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Apr 18 18:31:33 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>>P.S. and you'll have free installation support from
>>digium and a rock solid hw made for asterisk.
>>

>I have and use the X100/101P, TDM400P, T100P, TE410P and TE405P from Digium.
>
>Only a Digium zealot would call the X100/X101P 'rock solid hw' -- Digium is
>reselling a generic WinModem for these cards and they are simply not good
>hardware.  I love the other cards to death -- they are solid and stable and
>Just Work<tm>, but please don't blindly endorse anything that comes out with
>a Digium stamp on it -- you're only decreasing the value of Digium's name.

Any other FXO card will look just like the present one. A winmodem is
nothing more or less than an FXO card. It deals with the line
signalling, and analogue conversion and leaves everything else up to the
software. In the case of a modem that "everything else" is mostly modem
DSP. In the case of an FXO it is routing and switching. The hardware is,
however, identical.

I think you are the zealot. You seem to have a kind of "if it isn't
custom made for my job it must be second rate" attitude.

>They needed a cheap FXO interface for the masses and for now, that's what we
>have.  It's certainly not a good solution, but it is *a* solution.

What is wrong with it? It is a perfectly good FXO card.

>I am eagerly awaiting proper stocking of the IAXy and an FCC-certified FXO
>module for the TDM400P -- I think those should be Digium's flagship products,
>not a rebranded craptastic WinModem.

Well, a TDM400P is essentially just 4 winmodems plugged into a base board.

Regards,
Steve