[Asterisk-Users] Intel 536ep as a FXO?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Apr 18 19:07:26 MST 2004

> Any other FXO card will look just like the present one. A winmodem is
> nothing more or less than an FXO card. It deals with the line
> signalling, and analogue conversion and leaves everything else up to the
> software. In the case of a modem that "everything else" is mostly modem
> DSP. In the case of an FXO it is routing and switching. The hardware is,
> however, identical.

I call bullshit and you should know better -- You can match Part68 and still
have an absolutely horrible interface.  All Part68s aren't created equally,
and IMO the X100P's is crap.

> I think you are the zealot. You seem to have a kind of "if it isn't
> custom made for my job it must be second rate" attitude.

Not at all.  Any of the channel banks I've tested have better echo and audio
quality than the X100P.  I believe it comes down to the Part68 interface
being better able to accomodate different lines but YMMV.  I have never had
decent results with an X100P.  All of the tricks and hacks you see on the
wiki with it are proof that it's a substandard card, IMO.

> What is wrong with it? It is a perfectly good FXO card.

See above.

> Well, a TDM400P is essentially just 4 winmodems plugged into a base board.

Well their FXS interfaces first, but I'm not going to get into a semantics war
with you -- I am positive that the FXO modules will also perform better than
the X100P.  I haven't had any issues with the FXS interfaces on the TDM400P
-- the act just like any FXS channel bank I've used.

Regards,
Andrew