[Asterisk-Users] Re: MeetMe - new e and E flags?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Apr 15 11:28:45 MST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 03:01, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <200404141736.28634.tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com>,
>
> Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> > If it's a pin-required conference, you will hear the conference
> > number prior to being prompted to enter the associated pin.
> > Obviously, in this case, any such conference would be static, so
> > the pin would be pre-assigned in the config file.  This might be
> > useful if you ran a number of conferences, but did not want just
> > anybody to be able to access them (i.e. in order to access the
> > conferences, possibly dial-able from anywhere, you had to know
> > the associated pin).
> >
> > You can also select an empty dynamic conference, with pin, by
> > combining the flags 'eD', in which case you will be told the
> > conference number prior to you specifying the pin.  Or you could
> > simply select an empty dynamic conference (no pin), with flags
> > 'ed'.
>
> I'm trying hard to understand the usefulness of these features. It
> looks like, from what I've read here, if you dial an extension that
> routes to MeetMe(e), it will put you in an empty conference and
> tell you the number. Presumably for anyone else to join the same
> conference, you then have to tell them the number, e.g. by email,
> IM or another phone call, and they then have to dial a different
> extension which routes to MeetMe(without e). And if the empty
> conference also has a PIN, does the first user need a list of
> conference numbers to PINs so he can enter the correct PIN when
> told the conference number?

That's an administrative matter, not a detail of implementation.  You
could, of course, have the same PIN for multiple conferences.

> This all seems rather cumbersome, and I haven't had the chance to
> experiment with this feature yet, so the above probably highlights
> both (a) my lack of understanding, and (b) the lack of
> documentation!

If the feature doesn't make any sense to you, then don't use it.  For
a customer of ours, though, it was necessary to have this feature.

I would suggest actually trying out the feature a couple times, if
your goal is to learn how to use it.

-Tilghman