[Asterisk-Users] Buffers and Caches and realizations (Was: 1.0_stable ....)

Bob Klepfer bob at photon-x.com
Mon Apr 12 08:55:54 MST 2004

Re: Memory:

>The cool thing is Linux can just discard the cached entries when a
>application needs real RAM. Don't worry about your RAM usage until you
>see swap climbing and/or the buffers and cache dropping down to near
>zero.

Yes, yes,  I knew about caches versus HD access, but I didn't realize
what types of cache there were and what their uses were.  It struck me
when you mentioned "buffers and caches," as they are labeled in top,
that a buffer shouldn't stay full, and why should my bloody system have
150M of unflushed buffers?  But, of course the labels meant "buffer
cache."  I went looking for some more info on this and found this, if
anyone's interested:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/cgi-bin/display.pl?310&0&317&0&3

I _am_ curious how much overhead is involved in deciding what to dump,
dumping the page, then allocation, and if that could have any effect on
time critical applications with a recent linux kernel.  I'm betting not
much if at all, but I'll read up on it when I have the time.

[OT]:

>Maybe if this subject hadn't been covered 3 times in less weeks. You
>seem to first have missed the previous comments on this subject, and
>second you could have overlooked a one line non personal vent when there
>was a couple of paragraphs that explained clearly what you needed to
>know.

[You know Critch, I have to apologize - my impression of you, beyond the
time you bummed our floorspace at DragonCon, was of a self-important
suffer-not-the-newb kind of guy.  It was a lot of that kind of sniping
that led me to blow off the NLUG list a while back, and my daily runs
through the * list traffic---more skimming really...not enough time for
this and work too--- seemed to confirm it.  I just went looking through
the archive, though, and noticed far fewer harping messages from you
than I thought.  I think I fixated on the "read more before you ask
again" posts because you tend to <snip> more and top post less making
them more quickly readable, and because I pay more attention to the
general questions.  My "sanctimonious bullshit" remark was meant to
encompass _all_ the harp that I thought you enganged in, which turns out
to be much less than I thought.  Fancy that.

By the way, do you know where that mythical kiss-my-ass list is hosted,
and how much they charge?]

Bob