[Asterisk-Users] VoiceMailBox wav file format in EMAIL.

James Gardiner asterisk at crafted.com.au
Mon Apr 12 23:12:15 MST 2004

Hi all,
I am not sure if tis is a bug but..
Was learning about VM etc to see how it all worked, and I noticed the
following..

In the default install, the VM system leaves 3 different copies of the Voice
message.
Size	filename
13kb	Msg0000.gsm
13kb	Msg0000.wav
122kb	Msg0000.WAV  <- under UNIX we have case sensitive file names of
course.

I wanted to have a look at these files so loaded them into SOUND FORGE 6.
This first thing I noticed was that the LARGER file is of much HIGHER
volume. Like it had been normalised to 100%
The smaller was file, when loaded into sound forge, did not load properly,
only the first 2 seconds loads.

Can anyone explain these issues and why they exist?

All in all, I was wondering what would be the best format for best quality
but with still great compression.

I want to archive all calls for a period of time with self expire. (For
example dedicate 5 gig disk space to the last number of calls that can fit
in the 5gig.) I want to store the best quality possible but also make best
use of disk space, so I can store for even longer periods.  I was
considering ogg but then is occurred to me that GSM or other codecs designed
for audio with this frequency response may be better. (But the GSM file
above is not as clear as the WAV ones produced.)

I was also wondering if the VM system when emailing the audio can be setup
to use something like ogg or MP3?

Comments appreciated,
James Gardiner