[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Issues => SIP won't stay connected, and IAX Unable to Create Channel

Robert Jackson RobertJ at promedicalinc.com
Sat Apr 10 16:06:09 MST 2004

Thanks for the info.  I am not sure how to disable iptables, but I will
be scouring the net for the next couple of hours or so.  I simply
couldn't believe that * was as unstable as it has been seeming.  At
least now I know that I'm not crazy.  Rich, a previous poster, suggested
the following path:

>All the words that you've used tend to suggest a firewall is getting in
the way (eg, iptables). A few things you     >can do to help narrow down
the problem.

>1. on each system, do a "arp -a" before and after the connection fails
to see what each system thinks is the      >current IP & MAC address. If
there are no entries, then that system has not even attempted
communications at the         >layer-3 level.  If the entries are
present (on each system), then at least you know each has made "some"
attempt.

>2. download and implement ethereal, and run it until the failure
occurs. Look at the packet displays and see if     >that helps point to
an issue. If you can't read packet traces from ethereal, there are lots
of others on this list     >that can. It at least helps point to the
problem.

>3. in the /etc/asterisk/logger.conf file, configure it for "debug".
Restart asterisk (not reload). Asterisk will     >then write lots of
detailed messages in a file at /var/log/asterisk (if memory serves
correctly).

That is may current game plan.  Since I do not have any idea how to read
the output from step 1 or step 2 I may need to post the results and see
if anyone on the list will be able to decipher them.

Thanks for your help,

Robert