[Asterisk-Users] VIA vs Intel

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Wed Sep 24 16:26:30 MST 2003

James Golovich wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Steven Critchfield wrote:
>

>>As a phone platform, it may be overkill, but I bet it could drive a
>>TDM400P card and be able to handle GSM compression. The question then
>>again is if it is worth the cost for basically a 4 port asterisk based
>>device like the ATA186?
>>

>I have a mini-itx board (800mhz) and case (I can look up the part number
>if anyone is interested), but the older TDM400P has the sound problems
>with the power supply in there.  I've been meaning to contact digium to
>swap the card out and try a new rev in there but I haven't had the chance.
>For now I have a T100P working in there great.
>
>I originally wanted to get the TDM400P working in there because its a
>great demo system to show people just what it can do.  People are very
>impressed when you can walk in, plug a box in the ethernet (assuming
>dhcp), plug a phone into the back, and start making calls via IAX.
>
>James

Got a similar setup, using a Mini-itx C3 800MHz in a Casetronix 2677
case. Like you, I have noise problems with the TDM400. My solution: use
a Dlink 104S (US$80 off ebay). Now my box has 1 XP101 in the PCI slot
and a cross cable to the Dlink. A really neat demo set that actually
fits in a weekend bag. My only gripe with the C3, its FPU is slooooowwww
(IIRC it's 1/2 clock speed). Right now, I'm thinking of getting the
Nehemiah (full speed FPU). Have you taken a look at
http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/C137/c137_barebone.html? It's about
US$400 for the 2 PCI slot version.

Leo