[Asterisk-Users] VIA vs Intel

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Wed Sep 24 13:10:57 MST 2003

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> writes:
 Steven> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 13:13, Jon Pounder wrote:
 >> speaking of VIA - has anyone on the list looked at or used these ?
 >> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2&currency=2
 >>
 >> various collection of via based boards and cases and other goodies
 >> that go along with them.
 >>
 >> They are cheap enough they could work as either an asterisk server
 >> (diskless or with disk), or as phone platforms themselves.

 Steven> I was just looking at them since someone has built a mini
 Steven> distro to make one of these devices into a MythTV front end. I
 Steven> could see spending $200 per TV in my house to front them with
 Steven> these little boxes and then fill a couple machines up in a rack
 Steven> in the basement taping shows for the family. But, this is the
 Steven> wrong list to finish talking about this subject.

I'm using the EPIA-M6000 with Asterisk.

The only (serious) problem I have with it is that I'm unable to make the
cards use the IRQs I want. I always get USB using the same interrupt as
the X100P adapter, and the general mantra is that one should avoid
that. If you know of a way to reassign interrupts in a saner manner, I'd
appreciate any advice. Right now I have:

  0:    8540638          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1201          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 10:   85365179          XT-PIC  wcfxo, usb-uhci
 11:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
 14:      50857          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:   85732168          XT-PIC  eth0, usb-uhci

Otherwise, it's a fairly nice platform. You have to be careful to
compile with proper flags, but otherwise it works very well.

One thing: if you want to build a *quiet* PC, be careful. Many
manufacturers' definitions of quiet will differ from yours. I've
purchased an (overpriced) case from idot.com with a loud whining fan
(louder than my PC!), which I've later exchanged for an (even more
overpriced) case which still had a loud power supply fan. I ended up
buying an $25 small power supply at Fry's and forcing that into the
case. Obviously idot.com tests the "quietness" in a factory setting.

 Steven> As a phone platform, it may be overkill, but I bet it could
 Steven> drive a TDM400P card and be able to handle GSM compression. The
 Steven> question then again is if it is worth the cost for basically a
 Steven> 4 port asterisk based device like the ATA186?

I use it with an X100P, and an S100U, with Speex and ILBC sometimes.

I do have a number of problems, but they seem to be unrelated to the
platform itself.

--J.