[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream Source?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Sep 18 10:44:30 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 11:33, PJ Welsh wrote:
> You guys are a tough crowd. I do have to admit I did "get" this one,
> however.
>
> I don't know about Senad, but this is not an easy list to pick up on.
> In order to search the list, you have to know the terms/acronyms. In
> order to know the terms, you have to learn/ask. Many of you know this
> stuff back and forth. You know the relaionships of what-does-what. You
> have connected the dots and put these pieces together. I am still
> trying to get a handle on MOST all of this stuff. I can barely get the
> demo to work ;)
>
> Let's face it, there will always be dumb questions (like most of
> mine). Please be nice and think of the many factors that can
> contribute. Think of knowledge and language and barriers.

To help bridge the gap from the other side of the knowledge gap, I'd
love it if people would read at least the introduction to this page..

I hate to throw that link out to often because people tend to start
considering it rude also.

After reading it again myself and reading this quote...

>Indeed, one of my major complaints about the computer field is that
>whereas Newton could say, "If I have seen a little farther than others,
>it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants," I am forced to
>say, "Today we stand on each other's feet." Perhaps the central problem
>we face in all of computer science is how we are to get to the
situation
>where we build on top of the work of others rather than redoing so much
>of it in a trivially different way. Science is supposed to be
cumulative,
>not almost endless duplication of the same kind of things.
>
>-- Richard W. Hamming, "One Man's View of Computer Science," 1968
Turing
>Award Lecture, quoting from Sir Issac Newton's letter to Robert Hooke,
>February 5, 1675/76. See ACM Turing Award Lectures: the First Twenty
>Years: 1966-1985. (ACM Press. 1987). See also this 1986 talk.

I see where the hacker culture does not always lend itself to the
advancement of the cause as much as advancement of the individuals in
the cause.

I regularly have to point out to people who ask me questions that when I
ask them to think about their problem and ask them questions that point
them in the right direction of figuring out the answer for themselves
that I have helped them advance themselves. My family included do not
always like the fact that I don't always answer questions with facts,
but pointed questions to make them solve their own problems. Its funny
how good teachers do the same thing, and all of them are considered hard
and not always liked. These kinds of teachers though are the ones who
get you farther in life.

So in conclusion, ask your question when you need help, think about what
it is exactly you need to know, and do not take it as a personal attack
if there is a comment made about how to solve the problem yourself.