[Asterisk-Users] Does * machine need a sound board for MOH? (add to FAQ)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Sep 14 11:18:02 MST 2003

Music on hold problem solved... needs to be in an FAQ somewhere!!!

After spending many hours trying to diagnose the MOH problem, it turned
out to be the mpg123 code from the RedHat site. My * machine is RH9 with
no mpg123 (or mpg321) installed by default. Searching the RedHat site
found the rpm needed, however RedHat has substituted an incompatible
version without any notations of having done that. (The code that gets
installed is mgp321 with links that make it look like mpg123.)

The corrective action involved removing all occurances of mpg123 and
mpg321 from the linux box (including sym links), and installing the
correct software from:
 www.mpg123.de/mpg123/precompiled/mpg123-0.59q-1.i386.rpm
then, "cp /usr/local/bin/mpg123  /usr/bin/mpg123"
and MOH worked fine.

As a side note for those that might have the same problem and searched
the archives, other people have had this same problem, however finding
the steps necesary to correct this was not easy.

The symptom of this problem is... when placing a call on hold and expecting
music on hold, rather then hearing music one hears a low-level rumbling
sound. The CLI interface would show:
 Started music on hold, class 'default', on Zap/1-1
but one would only hear this rumbling sound.

Music on hold also relies on routines that are installed when certain Digium
hardware cards are installed (such as the X100P). If one of their cards are
not installed, then the user must uncomment the "# ztdummy" line (around
line 90) in the Makefile located in the zaptel source directory, do a
"make clean" followed by a "make install" to obtain the needed routines.
If that is successful, then "/sbin/lsmod" will display a list of modules
that are running when * is active which must include the ztdummy entry. If
that entry is not shown, then execute "/sbin/insmod ztdummy".

There was also assumptions made by several people that suggested an entry
in the extensions.conf file was needed, like:
  exten => 3000,2,MusicOnHold(default)
 or
  exten => 3000,2,SetMusicOnHold,default
 or
  exten => 3000,2,mp3player(/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/sample-hold.mp3)

These statments are NOT required at all. Apparently, they do provide
a way to specify a certain music directory and/or file on a "per extension"
basis, but they are optional and not required.

The only configuration statement that was needed to make MOH work for
extensions was one in the musiconhold.conf file like:
  default => mp3:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3

With the above statement active, ALL extensions are provided music on hold
without further configuration statements.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Rich