[Asterisk-Users] freebsd and asterisk ?? anyone yet

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Wed Sep 10 03:02:59 MST 2003

denon wrote:
> With regards to Asterisk on FBSD, I for one would love to see it
> happen.  I prefer FreeBSD over Linux in almost every case.
>
> However, personally I have a few concerns:
>
> Namely, the primary developer is a Linux nut .. (sorry Mark, I mean that
> in a good way :).  I'd hate to see development efforts get split up, and
> more time spent on porting/etc efforts, detracting from primary
> development.  If it's now slowing down new development, it's always a
> step behind while someone patches up the current builds.

I keep meaning to sort out autoconf/automake stuff for Asterisk. I
notice that Asterisk is GPLed, so there won't be any licensing issues.
I'm quite surprised no one else has got round to it before.

Anyway, I have no time at the moment for this, but it'll happen at some
point, I promise. :)

The win will be much easier portability between systems, and fewer
configuration woes, with better diagnostics for newbies. We could have
it automatically build H.323 support in if you have pwlib/openh323
installed, cope better with library version changes, etc.

As importantly, we'll get cross-unix portability for less effort. There
won't be a *BSD port - the autoconf stuff will sort it all out for you.
Of course, we'll have to do some work to make sure it all functions
properly, but it should be relatively easy to keep everything together
and working once that has happened. Forking a set of patches for FreeBSD
or whatever isn't the right way to do this.

--
Alastair Maw <al.maw at mxtelecom.com>
MX Telecom - Systems Analyst