[Asterisk-Users] freebsd and asterisk ?? anyone yet

David Raistrick drais at wow.atlasta.net
Tue Sep 9 17:56:13 MST 2003

> another.  I mean, by the time you strip down the linux install to make it
> rock-stable, it's basically a kernel, compiler, and a handful of
> dependances. Does it really matter what OS it runs on at this point, as
> long as it's a robust kernel?

At least in my case, I /can/ strip down a FreeBSD (or a picobsd release)
install to its required components in a matter of minutes.  I keep up with
the latest security issues and major bugs.  It's a must for my daily job.
I track -stable and I'm watching -current when I can.

I feel comfortable with keeping FreeBSD secure.   To do this with Linux,
I have to start over.  I have an entirely different set of problems to
keep track of, an unfamiliar..eh..release process, etc.

If I worked in a Solaris or IRIX shop, I'd similarly prefer to run the
system in an environment closer to the "usual" working environment.

Just my thoughts. :)

...david

---
david raistrick