[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Oct 30 22:16:30 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 22:34, Ray Burkholder wrote:
> With development tools, I've had the installation down to about 800 and some
> odd MB.
>
> If you do the install without development tools and without kernel source,
> you should be able to get it down to 600 MB or less area (kernel source is
> over 100 MB by itself.
>
> The basic way you do this is when you install Redhat, turn off all packages,
> then start selecting the ones you really need.  The dependency generator
> will then select the related ones for you.  And if you've missed some
> special ones, you can always re-add the rpm's after installation in
> complete.
>
> You are going to need two machines: one with a bunch of extra packages
> installed so you can compile Asterisk and create an RPM, and another one
> without the excess stuff on, where you simply install the asterisk rpm.
>
> I've kept the Kickstart file that has my typical install.  I have a few
> extra packages in it for network management and troubleshooting.

On my debian machine with all the development packages needed for
getting asterisk up I was only using 650mb and this includes some
voicemail. 200mb of that is kernel source, plus I had asterisk source,
zaptel source, and backup tarballs. Basically by removing the tarballs
and source directories, I should be able to get the drive down under 400
megs easy. Then again, if you are being really serious about doing this,
you only need the minimal amount of packages on the system to then put a
tarball of the asterisk binary onto the system. If you go that route and
therefore don't need any of the include headers and gcc apps, you should
be able to easily trim another 100 megs or so. Then you could remove man
and all the man pages if you don't do any work on that system.

I think if you really wanted to go for small, you would start with
something like the Damn Small version of knopix and build up from there.
I think we discussed this recently where it was only about 50 megs. Of
course then you are running a version of debian and I'll be happy that
you have moved off of RH.